Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What The World Doesn't Need Now

A few months ago I sat through a one hour "Go-To-Meeting" from a marketing firm in New York. It was a very good presentation, from what was a top-notch agency.

I did, however, squirm in my seat for most of the presentation. I really don't have the time to sit though a presentation that I have seen many times from many agencies. I was being "nice." When the presentation was over, the asked for my thoughts. I told them that their business model was wrong for the current economy. No one has the budget for a full-blown agency, doing extensive market studies, customer focus groups, long term market planning, or complete end-to-end services. Not only do we not have the budget, we don't have the time.

They question I ask myself everyday, is "What I am going to do TODAY to generate customer interest in my product, a lead, or a sale?" It's about today, and tomorrow, and maybe next week. Most companies are living literally day to day. Businesses are being shuttered everyday. We need sales, we need them now. How can I find the customer who is wants to buy, but needs to feel very good about a decision to buy, today? What can I do to help the sales force make one more call, today?

You could call this guerrilla marketing, tactical marketing, ninja marketing, or even TODAY marketing. The point is we as marketers have to try a series of small strikes to see what works. Better to try five things fast and one of them stick, than try one for ninety days and see it fail. We don't have ninety days. No one does.

Regardless of the recent Wall Street ups and downs this isn't over yet. We need to keep operating like the lives of our companies and careers are hanging by a thread. Because, they are.

What are you going to do, today? More importantly, what am I going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment